Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Restoration Challenge

The project I mentioned in yesterday's post is about "Inheritance". S, who gave me the merino fleece, has this baby shawl. It was made in the war years for her generation. She then used it for her own children, who now have children of their own. So it's a real family heirloom. Unfortunately the moths have no respect for such a heritage. They've snacked on the shawl here and there! Our friend L has had the shawl at her place with the challenge of restoring it for some time now. We've talked about it on and off, with the thought that I might be able to help track down some suitable yarn to match it. When I started spinning the merino I had a sudden thought: what if I use a bit to spin some yarn to match. It won't be perfect, but it will certainly respect the tradition of the piece. I'm going to have a go. Then L will have the challenge of darning and knitting to repair the holes. It's a community thing, and that's a good thing!

No comments: