Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Detail

The Sydney Road shopping strip in Brunswick is running a public art festival: offering their shop windows to local artists. I'm working on a piece called, Inheritance, using items rescued from garden sheds and Op shops. The timing is interesting as I'm currently clearing out my collection and questioning myself about what I let go and what I preserve. This dress is one I'm planning to keep, even if I never wear it again: The fabric is a silk-linen damask weave. It was beige when I bought it to wear to a friend's graduation. I overdyed it in blue and was thrilled with the way the different fibres picked up colour and emphasised the weave. I slipped it onto my manequin the other day. Reality check: I wore this dress at my slimmest--a size 12 or so--and it's distinctly loose on the manequin, hmmmmm!

4 comments:

Dee said...

I remember how goooood you looked in it too. :)

Chiara Z said...

Thanks:)

SewSofie said...

I didnt realise they were doing this. Where bouts in Sydney road and where will you be displaying?

Chiara Z said...

I'll keep you posted. I still have to finish my entry. If I can submit it in time the judges will decide whether and where it goes up.