Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Shibori Experiments

I've been working away at my Shibori assignment. In the past I've played with patterning on cotton fabric. I've also done a fair bit of dyeing with wool yarns. In between of course there's been silk, which is just irresistable to colour. Now I've started to have a go at wool fabrics. There are significant differences between wool and cotton fabrics for home dyeing. The first is that the dye needs to be heated to simmering point for about 20 minutes. Another is that the wool takes a long time to soak.The fabric had been in the sink for half an hour at least when I took this shot. You can see it's still bobbing away and is nowhere near saturated.


I've got a suitcase full of books and samples for my class talk this morning. I've chosen to wear my biggest watch--I really will need to keep an eye on the time, there's so much wonderful material to share.

No comments: