Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Knitting

I'm knitting away at yesterday's wool.It's a long way between needles. I cast on 200 stitches so as to knit a scarf longways. It's a trick I often use when I'm not sure how far a skein of yarn will go. Once I know a scarf is long enough it doesn't really matter how wide it is. If the yarn is a bit scarce I have a skinny little thing, affectionately known as a "scraf"--that's a cross between a scarf and a scrap. If I have plenty of yarn I can have fun with a ruffle or some other embellishment. Or I can cast off and use the last bit of wool to trim some wristies. I like the freedom and versatility.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Being the happy owner of a scraf or two I can testify to how delightful they are.
I recall the first scraf being made in this fashion (quite some years ago) and you my dear, looking at the scrap of yarn not sure just how far it would go. There was a hope, a sideways knitting and the joy of a newly coined term. Of course I was only too pleased with the warm, wooly result. :)

Chiara Z said...

Indeed my dear:) i always feel as though I should put (Dee, 200?--whatever year it was) as a reference when I think of the scraf.