Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Old Friends, New Friends

One of the troubles with enjoying so many aspects of textile arts and crafts is that it's hard to keep close contact with individual areas. For me weaving is a case in point. I did a two year certificate in weaving at the Handweavers and Spinners Guild a few years ago, but have hardly touched my loom since. This year, one of my fellow students in the Textile Art course got very interested in Tweed cloth. I said, "I can do that". Now I've followed through on my boast. Yesterday I spun some tweed yarn. This morning I made a simple card loom--there it is in the pic behind my little sample.
I've been concentrating hard for an hour or so, needle-weaving in small scale. It's mostly plain weave, but I had a go at a tiny bit of twill--that reminds me why multi-shaft looms were invented. Counting threads, even for a little while is just not fun. I'm pretty happy with what I've made though, and I can't wait to show it off tomorrow.

No comments: