Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day Out

I drove down to Sorrento yesterday to see an exhibition. Sorrento is at the end of the Mornington Penninsula, which is quite a drive for me. But the trip was sweetened by the company of my friend A who works in Frankston.

The exhibition itself was worth the trip: a few pieces I really liked and some good ideas to think about for my own development as an artist. Presenting textiles in a gallery context can be a real challenge. Here some were framed, some hung from a fabric sleeve from the ceiling and others presented in a glass box. Food for thought.

After some lunch, I drove out to the back beach--that's the ocean side of the penninsula. I'd forgotten how very good beach can be. The sound and smell of the waves and the taste of salt were life-giving. I had an hour or so on the sand--not between my toes, but at least under my feet. I kept my shoes on as it wasn't really warm despite the sun. I was fascinated by the waves: the splash of the foam and their steady advance up the beach as the tide came in. It's been way too long since I'd used my D-SLR camera. I found myself very rusty in my skills. I need to work out a routine of using it more regularly. It's too good a tool to neglect.

No comments: