Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Conflict Management

I've had the dyepots out again lately. I'm experimenting with tied resist. The process involves binding areas of the yarn or fabric tightly with string to prevent the dye penetrating that area. Then when the tie is removed and rearranged another colour can be added.

Here's a problem I encounter every time I work with my dye pots: I have a smallish kitchen with a standard four-burner stove. The scenario this morning is that I have a skein of yarn and a big piece of silk in the pot at the top of the pic. The pot below it is my dinner--chicken and sweet corn soup. The big aluminium pot on the third burner is one of my dye pots--I always keep separate equipment for dyeing. There is one spare burner for my coffee-pot, but it's hard to reach with everything else going on. Now the soup is cooked, so I can brew myself a coffee before moving on to the next task.

The laundry of my dreams has room for a small two-burner electric stove next to the laundry tubs. I have plans approved by Council, but I have yet to find a builder willing to commit to such a small task. I'm shy of managing the project myself after my experience with the studio last year. That's a different sort of conflict to resolve in my mind before I can solve the tangle on my stove in the longer term.

4 comments:

Knitspingirl said...

An idea of turning a corner of your new studio into a dyeing space jumps to mind. But then that opens a whole new can of worms (not to mention expense & stress) doesn't it? You'd need to get plumbing attached to the studio ...

Chiara Z said...

Of course that presupposes that there is a spare corner in the studio.

Dee said...

I have found that a standad stove top only allows for two large pots set at diagonally opposite burners and the to even fit a small pot on one ofthe other burners becomes difficult.
All the very best in tacking down a suitable builder / hanyperson.

Chiara Z said...

Thanks:) I think I need to summon up some extra courage first!