Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Light and Shade

I've been focussing on my homework assignments again this week. Yesterday's effort was a World History Timeline. I've dubbed it the how-long-is-a-piece-of-string project. That's right, we've been asked to construct a timeline of World History! I think I mentioned that the last time I studied history I was twelve years old. And that I feel profoundly ignorant in a formal Art course. When I went to the local libraries I was able to borrow several door-stopper sized tomes. Apparently there's a book called, "World History for Dummies", but it was out on loan. There's no way I can read all the information I have available, even in those few books. Plus there are dozens of timelines on the web. I put in a good effort yesterday, and feel as though I've at least got some sort of framework to develop. To help preserve my sanity I made sure I got a few minutes in the garden when the sun was out. I dead-headed some roses and turned over a patch of dirt with my garden fork. I also ventured across the road to pick this branch from the wild cherry tree on the footpath there.We've been focussing on light and shade in our last couple of drawing classes. I thought I would draw this small branch and try to pick out the shaded areas, but my lighting set up was against me. I have a set of three spotlights in my kitchen space. Can you see, there are three distinct shadows cast by each little twig? It was more than I was willing to tackle after grappling with World History all day. I took the photo and left the drawing until this morning.

I don't think I can bear another full day of World History. I have some sewing to do as well as the drawing. Maybe if I break it up a bit more it will be easier to manage. Meanwhile I'll follow my usual prescription for sanity: another cup of coffee and a few minutes spinning and I'll see how I feel after that.

6 comments:

Dee said...

A timeline of world history? Surely not of the entire history of the world?

Chiara Z said...

Yep! Or as much of the history of the world as I can digest in the available time:)

Vireya said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the history assignment. That has got to be one of the more nebulous tasks I've encountered.

Chiara Z said...

Hmmm, I'm looking forward to seeing what I come up with too--nebulous and/or overwhelming depending how seriously I take it, I guess . . .

SewSofie said...

Holy moly! vie got a 'world history' book. Its a door stop. Sounds like one of the books you had to cart home. If you need it i'd be happy to lend it to you but it sounds like its not the info you'll have a problem with. Good luck!

Chiara Z said...

Thanks--I don't need any more door stoppers, but I've renamed the assignment: "The Holy Moly How-Long-is-a-Piece-of-String Project!".