Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Walking

So, my car didn't make it through the Easter Weekend--long story, but the upshot is that it's been written off. I can't pretend I'm happy about that. It's a pain and an expensive pain, at that. On the bright side, though, I had been missing my walks for months now and despite my best resolutions, just hadn't got back into the habit. Without a car, walking becomes a necessity instead of an optional extra. As well as walking to help me get where I need to be, I've started walking the dogs again. I'm still at the stage where I feel more tired than I'd like after a good hour's walk. As I said, it's been a while. I'm looking forward to the benefits of exercise--coming soon, I hope!

Walking is always great way of noticing small details around the neighbourhood. Here's a bit I picked from one of the peppercorn trees in the local park. I love the delicate drooping leaves and the teeny tiny berries just starting to form. At least I'm guessing that's what they are.
I looked up the peppercorn tree when I got home the other day. Turns out it's considered a weed, since it grows so well locally that it easily takes over bushland. And the "pepper" bit is very real--I was surprised how strongly the leaves smell when I broke off a piece!

No comments: