Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Painted Skein

OK, so the house is still awash with procion dyes: dyes in the kitchen-living room, dyes in the bathroom . . . so far I've managed to keep them out of my bedroom. Yesterday I used up the last of the thickened dye from last week. By mixing up the dye powder with an alginate thickener, I get to work with something the consistency of poster paint. I found this just a little too thick to really cover the cotton yarn, especially when it's dry, so I've been experimenting with adding dye solution to the mix. Here's yesterday's effort: This is a real improvisation. I've used some thickened dyes and some straight from the dye pot, and I pretty much decided on the colours as I went along, depending on what I had left in front of me. I'll be interested to see how the colours come out when rinsed. I'm thinking some of them may be quite pale, since the thickened dyes are over a week old. The intense colour you can see in the pic is unrinsed. I'll leave it another 24 hours to give the thickened dyes the best chance of reacting, then I'll see what I get.

2 comments:

Vireya said...

I like the way the white space in the middle looks like a map Western Australia.

Textile Tragic said...

Pure serendipity, I promise:)