Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Groan or Giggle?

Today's post was going to be a peppy progress report on my laundry storage. I've been fantasising about having some good cupboards above the washing machine and laundry tub. This week I bought some--flat-packed of course. I started this morning with a quick coffee, breakfast and assembly of the first cupboard. My friend W arrived just before ten to help me to attach the cupboard to the wall. That's definitely a two person job. Well, at that point, things went pear-shaped. What you see below is a very wet floor:Let's put it this way, my enthusiasm was quickly hosed down! I drilled through a water pipe which was quietly sitting behind the wall where no water pipe should be. The first I knew of it was a fine, strong jet of water in my face from the point in the wall where I'd just pulled out the drill bit. Things moved very quickly from there. W and I rushed outside to turn the water off at the main. I must admit I simultaneously spent a few minutes swearing not too quietly. The next step was a moment of hysterical giggling followed by a call to the plumber whose fridge magnet is there just for moments like this. He can come on Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon is only two days away, but that feels like a very long time.

W had to go. She's off on holidays tomorrow, and apart from sympathy, there's not much she can do to help me now. Just as she drove off the neighbours started to surface. I swallowed my pride, knocked on the door and shared my story. D from next door is a handy handy man. He's promised to come over when he's had a coffee and something to eat and see what he can do. Meanwhile, I'm blogging--to get it off my chest. Next I'll make a few calls to secure myself a bed for tonight. After that, I guess I'll gather my courage and assemble another cupboard. I'm working on the principle that one way or another the bathroom will reach some semblance of order. It may be a while.

5 comments:

Dee said...

OH NOOOOOO!

Dee said...

that would certainly dampen one's enthusiasm!

Peace said...

chuckle...chuckle... giggle... giggle... hysterical laughter. *straight face* Oh dear.

Chiara Z said...

Yep! all of the above

teen 3 said...

LOLs. that's funny, sorry but i do have to laugh