Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oh, So Soft; Oh, So Scientific!

My professional background is in medical science--among other things--that's a long story. Now as a textile artist, I love to experiment--and play. In the textile field, sampling is a great way of trying out ideas, techniques and materials. "Sample, sample, sample! is a textile art mantra, so I'm right at home there. I do sometimes drive my friends and collegues nuts, though, with my desire to change just one variable at a time, and label my results.

So, one of the things I'm looking forward to in this Spinning Certificate at the Guild, is the satisfaction of developing a folio full of labelled samples. Here is the first one: This is the worsted spinning sample from last week's class--knitted up, labelled and ready to go. And it was such a pleasure to work with beautiful soft wool, rather than some of the nasties I've encountered in the medical field.

1 comment:

Dee said...

this course is soooooo perfect for you! :) enjoy the journey.