Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Colours

I had to buy a new printer yesterday. The old one is incompatible with the operating system on my new computer. That was disappointing, annoying, frustrating . . . especially because it took me a fair bit of fiddling to work out where the problem was. During that process I found myself looking into the workings of the printer several times, and just for the sake of a smile amidst the angst, here it is: Primary colours! All the subtleties of colour my printer can produce come from these little cartridges: black, cyan, magenta and yellow. Just those basic primary colours: red, blue, yellow--they haven't changed since primary school--and just to prove the point, when I nearly ran out of black ink, the computer asked me whether I would like to produce black by using the colour cartridges.

Here's one of the ways I prefer to think about colour--when I'm not doing battle with my "labour-saving technology":
I love colour, I love colour wheels, I love colour theory, I love to play with colours. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to the fun and exciting aspects of colour again now that I've tackled my technology challenges.

No comments: