Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Loom

My table loom is an eight-shaft made by Eric Noble in South Australia. I think it deserves a post all of it's own, having served me faithfully through the past year. This one belongs to the Guild. I had it on loan for the Certificate course last year and I need to return it this week--hence my flurry of activity in finishing the project that's on it. I like it so much that I've bought one just like it.

Eric Noble is supposed to be retiring. I don't know his personal story, but like many craftsmen of his calibre, there doesn't seem to be a next generation ready to take over. So I wanted to make sure I got a loom made by him while he's still making them.

I wish I'd taken a photo of my loom when it arrived in the post. The packaging seemed to sum up this man's attitude to his work. He had built a cardboard box to just the right dimensions. Then he'd glued in blocks of styrofoam to protect any vulnerable places. The whole thing was tailor made to ensure everything arrived just right. And it was just right. I'm looking forward to many many hours enjoying his craftsmanship.

No comments: