Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Back to the Weaving

The weaving course at the Guild starts up again on Saturday, and I've finally got back to my weaving. It's the supplementary warp, Turned Monksbelt, project left over from the end of last year and I've been meaning to get to it right through the holidays. But it's been one of those things that I kept putting off.

As soon as I started weaving, I remembered why I like it so much! The rhythm of work is great, and it's such a definite activity. I need a place where I can legitimately beat in a controlled and creative way, and weaving is it. Just to add to my satisfaction, the work grew at a great rate. I can see myself finishing it in the next day or two.

Here it is on the loom. I've raised the shafts holding the supplementary warp so you can see it more clearly.
The fibre is a mercerised cotton. I have to acknowledge the source of the contrast yarn because it's such a fantastic name. It comes from Lunatic Fringe Yarns! How good is that!

And to round off the mental health associations, I'm off to an exhibition of textile art in the city this morning. It's called, "It Keeps Me Sane. . . women, craft, creativity, wellbeing". What more can I say?

No comments: