Yesterday I took two different approaches to my challenge:
- I rang several of my more experienced, local knitting friends in search of an experienced Kitchener stitcher--no luck. I did have a good catch up on the phone with friends I hadn't spoken with for a while, but it wasn't getting me any closer to the goal of joining up my scarf. I did get a reality check, though: not every knitter does Kitchener stitch.
- Then I decided to take the plunge . . . well, not quite the plunge, but at least I got my feet wet. I had a sample of the feather and fan knitted in Bendigo 2-ply: 40-something stitches, in two halves, and dip dyed like the real thing. I had a go at grafting it together.
The effect of using fine wool and variegated colour cuts both ways: on the one hand, it's really hard to see what I'm doing; on the other hand, it's really hard to see what I've done. That sample is now on my blocking board. It doesn't look too bad. I need my glasses to see where I've made my mistakes. My eyesight isn't that bad. It will do. Now I have to tackle the real thing: 73 stitches in fine hand-spun. I think I'll do it in several shifts, but I will do it.