Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Reactions

There is a basic law in physics: "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction". Craft is subject to the laws of physics. The craft version of the law goes something like this: "Every craft action has at least one equally expensive and time consuming reaction".

Here's today's example:

I am teaching a Patchwork by Machine class (action);

  • the class requires a set of rulers, cutters and mats (reaction);
  • the rulers cutters and mats must be transported to and from the class (reaction)
  • a bag is required to transport this equipment conveniently and attractively (reaction)
  • a quilted carry bag would do the job and demonstrate another use for the patchwork techniques taught in class ( reaction)

. . . . so, I'm making a bag to carry the equipment to and from class! I just happened to have some fabric with pictures of sewing equipment and the words, "ruler, scissors" printed on it. The bag is done, complete with a set of pockets on the inside to hold the rotary cutters out of harms way. Now to add handles and clear my workspace for the next project.

4 comments:

Knitspingirl said...

A bag is a great idea. I remember when I did a beginners quilting class & after spending a fortune on equipment, what did I do when I took my stuff out of the car for the first lesson? That's right! I promptly dropped my ruler & broke the most important corner off right there in the car park.
I repeat - a bag is a great idea!

Chiara Z said...

Thanks for the encouragement--I've just sewn the handles on and put all the bits in their place. Ta Da!

Dee said...

oh for a moment there i thought yyou were gonig to say that you had dropped and broken your ruler.
Great post, liked the chuckle value and you get a neat new bag with a purpose.

Chiara Z said...

AND one less piece of fabric looking for a good home:)