Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Combing Away

I know I've featured a few of my wicked-looking tools lately. But here's one I'm really starting to love: My English Wool Combs: I've had them for about 18 months, but they've been in the category of things I must get comfortable with and avoid in the meantime. Of course, that was never a good strategy. In the last few weeks I've moved to Plan B: just keep using them until it becomes second nature. That approach is starting to pay off. Today I'm preparing some more Corriedale fleece for worsted spinning. I'm still having to think carefully about what I'm doing, but I'm getting into a routine and I'm loving the look and feel of the rovings.

. . . I should probably explain my terms for those readers who aren't familiar with the worsted spinning process and how it all works, sorry, I can't wait to get back to my combs. If you're interested, you can follow the labels that appear below this post to find the information. Or feel free to comment and ask questions. Like most people newly in love, the only thing I like better than being with my combs, is talking about them!

5 comments:

Knitspingirl said...

Love the combs .. & spinning with the resulting rovings.
What sort of diz are you using? (for some reason I'm getting a picture in my mind of a paua shell button)

Chiara Z said...

Oh, I wish! I've just got the metal disc with several different sized holes that came with the combs. It works ok, but not inspiring. I was thinking this morning that collecting some nice diz would be the next joy. Meanwhile, about 40g of fleece combed, spun and plied this morning:)

Chiara Z said...

Next morning. . . you and your paua shell button idea, my friend, I was actually dreaming about it overnight! I'll have to find myself one:)

Knitspingirl said...

The paua shell colours are "you" - aren't they!

Chiara Z said...

OOOH yes, they are my colours:)