Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Mohair

My hand-dyed kid mohair kept me happily occupied for a couple of hours yesterday morning.



















I used the long draw--you can just see the leg of the chair I'm sitting on in the bottom right of the pic--so my arm is held out to the left of me. And my right hand is actually taking the shot with my camera. So  it's only the twist in the fibres that is holding them together there. I don't know if that makes any sense to somebody who doesn't spin, but there you go. Regardless, you can see the lovely lustrous mohair fibres folded over my index finger. And you can see that the spun yarn is just a little bit hairy. I did enjoy it. Now it's all spun up and it's time to ply it. Beyond the plying, I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with it.

4 comments:

Dee said...

I love your description of the spinning technique used for this skein; especially for a non-spinner. I can picture what you are doing!

I have to include the word verification for this post: MORPLI which I read as "more ply". I guess that is what you now need to do with this spun yarn. :)

Chiara Z said...

More ply--yep--and now it's done!

Knitspingirl said...

Ooo pretty mohair!
Are you plying it with itself or something else? I had a bad experience plying mohair with itself when I was a newbie spinner - my knitted object "unspun" itself & fell to pieces ...

Chiara Z said...

Ow! I plyed it with itself--hopefully there's enough twist in it for it to be nice and stable.