Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Happy-Tired

There should be a word for it: that satisfied feeling at the end of a concentrated day of crafting. The brain has been occupied all day--focussing on patterns and rhythms, dreaming of possibilities while tuning into incomplete realities. The hands have been following new paths, learning new ways of doing. And this is a workshop, so there's been a warm social context with others who are either demonstrating or likewise learning, observing, attempting, dreaming . . . I don't know the word for it, but it's a good thing.

It was my first day of basket making and it began like this:
 
Twist together two circles of lawyer cane and intersect them at right angles to each other. One circle will form both the handle and the bottom axis of the basket. The other will be the rim. The last time I met lawyer cane--aka "wait a while"--I was bushwalking in Queensland. I'm glad I didn't have the job of harvesting and stripping off the vicious little barbs for which it is notorious! Thankfully this stuff is available for sale all clean and ready to go.
The next task was to secure the join. Then came twining. Today there will be more twining. Jean, our experienced teacher and Sue, workshop coordinator, provided all the materials plus a running commentary on where and how they could be harvested. I don't have room in my house for a new collection of stuff, so at this stage I'm practising restraint. That could change though. I hear that some vines--and the branches of my precious Silver Princess--can be used fresh. I will have to find out more about that. Meanwhile it's time to pack my bags and head off for another day of concentration and satisfaction. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have a basket to show for my efforts. 

No comments: