Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Miniature

I started this miniature project yesterday morning. I've been working at spinning a suitable yarn to mend an heirloom baby blanket. My early attempts on my wheel weren't fine enough and I started to get frustrated with myself. Then I thought of using a drop spindle. I don't need much yarn at all, and I love the control I can achieve, especially with my lightest spindle. First I did a tiny little sample just to see how it would go. Then I did a bit more, L has that, and is about to pull out her knitting needles to match the pattern of the original blanket. That left me with a ridiculously small amount of a ridiculously fine handspun merino. It's hardly even a couple of grams, but I couldn't let it go to waste. I decided to play with it:For reference, that little ball of yarn is about the size of my finger-tip and the needles are 2 mm. It feels really strange working at this scale--and yet I know that people make entire shawls out of fine yarns like this. I'll be proud of myself if I can achieve a bookmark.

2 comments:

SewSofie said...

Very very pretty. YOu have the patience of a saint!

Head over to my blog when you get a chance.

Chiara Z said...

thanks. I've got your blog on my updates, so I try to keep up with all your posts. Will head over right now.