Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Threading

Here's where I'm up to in my double-weave bag project:I've threaded about a third of the warp ends. It's fairly focussed work because of the pattern, so when I get tired and start to lose concentration, I just have to stop. There's no point pushing on only to have to go back and fix mistakes later.

I took this shot with my macro lens just before calling it a day yesterday. You can see the wire heddles. Each heddle has an eye through which I thread one warp end. When I've finished a repeat of 24 ends, I tie it off in a bundle. That keeps the threads safe until I need them for the next step and also helps me to keep track of where I'm up to.
Now, time for a coffee and then back to the threading. I hope to have it done today. Then I can start weaving.

3 comments:

Vireya said...

That's a nice shot!

Chiara Z said...

Thanks, I'm pretty much seeing heddles before my eyes! Just finished threading another three groups of 24 since posting.

Dee said...

It looks so complex. i am gaining a new appreciation for the weaving process through your blog and coomments. :)