Sunday, November 1, 2009

Rainbow Dyeing

A whole day of dyeing at the Guild yesterday. I came home with sore feet and lots of samples. I need to finish rinsing them--the samples that is. I also made this lovely big skein in primary colours. This is a "cram pot" dyed skein. The idea is to use as little water as possible, so the colours don't bleed into each other. Of course, if there's not enough water, the colours won't be distributed through the skein. So it's a bit of a balancing act. I wouldn't normally use all three primaries in the one skein. I've commented before that red + blue + yellow = muddy brown. But This was a challenge, and it's turned out ok, I think. There are a few light patches and a couple of muddy spots, but lots of contrast. One thing that surprised me is that there are hardly any areas of secondary colour, so mostly the dye stayed where it was put.

I now have a new tool on my wish list. We did the cram pot dyeing in an old electric frypan. It was ideal for sprinkling the colours and keeping the water as shallow as possible. On the other hand, I'd better not acquire any more space occupying objects before I've tidied up a bit more.

1 comment:

Dee said...

this experiment has heaps of potential. it would be neat to see if you can get the rainbow thing happening without brown... have heaps of fun.