Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Free is Good

I was given this little travel iron yesterday: It can go in my portable quilting kit along with a tiny ironing board I picked up a while back--also for free.

So, what's with all the free stuff? I'm a member of an online group called Freecycle. Their slogan is, "changing the world one gift at a time". The idea is that instead of throwing away things you no longer want or need, you offer them to the group. Someone who does want or need the item can ask for it. And the basic rule is, it's for free--hence "Free-cycle". Technically I guess it's more like re-using than recycling, but what the heck, it's free.

Now I am a great believer in Op shops, but it seems that they are more and more restricted in what they can offer for sale. A terrible lot of donations end up in landfill. And looking for a particular item in an Op shop is very hit and miss. The excitement is in the thrill of finding an unexpected treasure. Whereas with the online group all I have to do is scan a daily list of offers. If there's something I'm interested in and it's nearby, I can send off an email to ask for it. When I have something to offer, it's the same deal in reverse. And when I've offered an item as a gift to some-one in the group, they come to collect it from my house, usually with smiles and thanks. So, I like it! And this little travel iron is a gem. I can keep it in my quilting box and press my tiny little patchwork seams anywhere, any time.

No comments: