Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Test Driving

I was thrilled to see several traders with drop spindles for sale at the wool show. I tested as many of them as I could. They all looked great, but I wanted to buy one that would be a joy to use. The only one that was irresistable in my hands was this banksia drop spindle by Ron West. It was the lightest one he had left of this type: 35g. The balance and weight distribution on the shaft are both very good. When I started it spinning, it didn't want to stop--and neither did I. As a bonus, the whorl is made from a banksia nut and it's just fascinating.It seems that several of the wood turners making drop spindles are in the product development phase--still learning and interacting with spinners to see what works well. So I did have a lot of fun trying things out and discussing possibilities.
I also had a chance to thank Maureen Shepherd for the beautiful Finn-cashmere tops I bought from her last year. They pretty well go everywhere with me in my drop spindle bag and I'm about 3/4 of the way through spinning 100g. They are giving me so much pleasure. Find out more about Finn sheep here.

2 comments:

Dee said...

what a lovely spindle - so cute and so Aussie :). i love the way you photograph your things and these ones are no exception. great attention to detail.

Knitspingirl said...

How exciting that there are more spindle makers out there, even if they are still in the learning phase. Congrats on only walking away with the one - I don't know that I would have had the resistance to yummy new drop spindles!