Meanwhile, here's a picture of my lab:
And here's one lot of colour:Since then I've added a second piece of fabric to each jar. I have another set of primary colours in plastic bags.
I'm using my oldest dyes. I've got a date of 21 November 2005 written on the jars. So they would have every right to have lost some of their reactivity. I have another set of primary colours that I bought a couple of years ago. If the result from this batch is disappointing, I'll try those next. Since I'm really just testing the dyes at this stage, I haven't done any colour mixing. Stay tuned for some results.
By the way, for once in my life I didn't manage to spill anything, so I took a bit of each colour and smeared it onto the bamboo test piece. I waited for 10 minutes before wiping it off. There's no colour left on the sample. That's the happiest negative result I've had for a while--unless I find that the dyes have lost all their reactivity, which I doubt.