Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Eight Shaft Weaving

Weaving Certificate, Year 2, Lesson 1: Introduction to Multi-Shaft Weaving:
Eight shafts, count them: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight!

I'm starting to get to know my new loom. It's just like the one I used last year, except of course, being made individually by hand, it's not just like the one I used last year. I was delighted to discover that the levers that lift the shafts have turned out with different shades and textures of wood.

The theory topic for yesterday morning was "Introduction to Multi-shaft Weaving". Apparently multi-shaft, by definition, and contrary to numerical logic, means more than 4. This year we will be working with 8 shafts. The take home message, as far as I could gather, was, "expect more complexity". We will also be working with finer yarns than we did last year. So there are a few challenges to look forward to.

No comments: