So, I've been off air for about a week, courtesy of various technical glitches and the humans who are paid to fix them for me . . . I learned a bit more about my computer and what makes my internet connection work--or not. As for the lessons in patience, I'm not sure that I would have chosen to practice that virtue if I had the choice.
Meanwhile I'm still an enthusiastic newbie sock knitter. I thought I'd branch out into something a little more challenging and exciting. This was an impulse buy.
Noro Sekku is 50% cotton, 17% wool, 17% nylon, 16% silk. It was on display as a possible sock wool and despite the fact that there was no knitted swatch available I decided to give it a go. That turned out to be not such a good idea. It's an unbalanced single and despite the promised strength from the nylon content, it breaks very easily. It also twists and catches on itself--not a good combination when knitting on 2 mm needles. Nor are the lovely thick slubs that show up reasonably often. And the wool content isn't enough to give the yarn any elasticity. The big cuff you can see in the pic only just fits over my heel to tug onto my ankle. Once there I'm not sure that it would stay up. It quickly became a "sample" and I've reallocated the yarn. It will be an interesting scarf knit on somewhat bigger needles. Hopefully it will be great and I'll end up a happy little knitter again. Meanwhile it's good to be back on air.