Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy, Happy!

I could blog for a month on the joys of a Guild Textile Bazaar: the people, the place, books, tools, fibres . . . I'm in a hurry this morning, so I'll leave you with just one of the gems I picked up:This is a textile text book. For a woman who started in dressmaking, quilting and crochet and went on to spin, knit and weave it promises hours of interest. I don't think it will make it onto my shelf for a while. It's going to be next to the armchair so I can dip into it often.

And just for fun: who'd like to take a guess on the publication date?

6 comments:

Vireya said...

Well Google says 1971, but maybe that's cheating?

I would have guessed pre-80s anyway because I'm pretty sure I saw the book when I was studying textiles in the early 80s.

SewSofie said...

I love books too, especially when they are full of inspiration. Im guessing this was printed in the 1960's?

Textile Tragic said...

Vireya, trust you to turn immediately to your friend Google:) as it turns out, there's an earlier date in the book, so keep guessing . . .

Dee said...

Judging a book by its cover.... I am guessing mid-late 60's.
Mu mum has a photo of her wearing a minidress in those colours and a table cloth in some scary psychadelic pattern, again in a similar palette and it was a gift during the 60's.

Joanne said...

I cheated too! 1968 according to my Googling. What a great book for such a creative person. Enjoy.

Textile Tragic said...

1968 it is! Though it was reprinted in 1971. Let's me say that I won't be relying on it for advice on made-made fibres, but there's plenty of info on natural fibres and production methods and the references to out of date synthetics are amusing.