Yesterday morning's task was to get the blocks for the Sussex Neighbourhood House Raffle Quilt ready to hand out to the people who will sew them. I started the planning for this quilt a while back, but then stalled a little. I had an overall design with interlocking friendship stars. I'd resolved the dilemma of how to piece it--valuing participation over efficiency. Last week I sat down with L and mapped out a timeline. The next thing to settle on was colours. We decided on the House colours: this blue, yellow, red-pink combo features on the mosaic facade of our building and has become our signature tune.
The quilt is going to have a scrappy look, but within this colour scheme. I picked up some paint chips from the hardware store to give people a colour reference point. We decided to ask each person to contribute blues and yellows and use a set fabric for the red colour. Luckily I had this hand-dye in my collection--just enough.
A sheet of instructions, a sandwich bag with paint chips and the hand-dyed fabric for each contributor and we're away. The Quilters' Circle met yesterday afternoon so I had my perfect opportunity to hand out the kits. A couple of the knitters who meet at the same time are also quilters, as are several of the staff, so I easily got to the target of nine blocks. Now to wait for the completed blocks to come in. Then we'll have the fun of piecing them together to make a quilt top. Meanwhile the raffle ticket team are already getting themselves organised. We're planning on selling tickets from early August and drawing the raffle at the AGM in mid-September, so the timeline is looking good.