Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Invitation Preview

The Arabic-speaking Women's Community Quilt program is nearly complete. This week we basted the quilt sandwich. You can see the safety pins in the pic. That done we will be able to attach the beaded stars and flowers which we prepared some time ago. With six weeks or so until the launch it's time to get an invitation ready. I was experimenting with the Arabic greeting which is a focal point of the quilt. The words means "Peace to Everyone". To add the human element and indulge my fascination with hands, I asked a couple of the women to pose with their hands resting on the quilt to frame and emphasise the words. Quick as a flash, one of the women got to the heart of the issue and took the whole thing a step up. "If they can't understand the writing, they'll understand the hands", she smiled triumphantly. I was thrilled. My only regret is that I didn't have a camera better than the one in my phone to capture the moment. With the photo cropped and the necessary information added, I'll have the invitation ready.

No comments: