Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sewer Plan

Some time ago in another blog I pondered the terminology used to describe one who sews. The logical, "sewer", is my natural choice when speaking, but I found myself hesitating to use the term in print. Readers suggested various elegant variations to avoid the plumbing connotations.

Today my concern is with plumbing. Having succesfully negotiated the process of getting the shed/studio up, I'm ready to tackle the next stage. That involves moving my laundry from a corner of the bathroom to its own home in what is now my light-court. When I invited a plumber to give me a quote, he asked for the "sewer plan". This turns out to be a map showing the location of the drains of my property. For some unfathomable reason it seems to be missing in action. I've been conducting a bizarre treasure hunt through various government departments. If all else fails, it will come down to this: An inspection of my drains using fibre-optic technology to track their location is the last resort. I have no idea how much it would cost, but I'm not ready to give up on following the paper trail quite yet. So today, in between getting some more shelving sorted in the Studio, I'll be making a few more phone calls to see what I can find.

No comments: