Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Learning

I'm taking some time out from the Textile Art course, and in the meantime am keen to develop some of my skills. Drawing is one.

























When I think about the topics that interest me, people are right at the top of the list. I've been thinking a lot about masks lately. Yesterday I went back to the basics. I looked up the proportions and placement of features of a face. I copied out the relevant lesson and did a rough generic face in my book. And then, I had to test the theory. So I found a photo I've taken of E's face. It's not quite straight on, but hopefully good enough for the exercise. I printed it out in greyscale and covered it with a piece of tracing paper--well baking paper actually. It was raining and I didn't want to venture out to the studio. A quick tracing gave me the details I needed. I drew the face shape, transfered the placement of eyes, nose and mouth from the photo. It didn't look much like E by then, but it did look like a regular face and the proportions were right. So I've reinforced my learning a bit. This morning I've had a go at sketching from the photo. Well, that's more of a challenge. Again, it doesn't look like the real thing, but I'm learning as I go.

Meanwhile I've enrolled in a class at the Incinerator Arts Complex. It's an Introduction to Painting and Drawing and as a  bonus the materials are included. Of course I'm keen to buy more stuff! but I feel rather lost with all the different options available out there. I'm hoping that the opportunity to use materials in class and get a feel for what they do will make it easier to make good choices for myself.

No comments: