Yesterday I spent more time on the phone with technical support people. No offence intended, but I don't much like talking with technical support people. They have their little problem-solving script, "unplug this; plug it in again; turn the power off and turn it on again; check this setting and so on and so forth . . ."
I've had weeks and months of it. It seems that one problem is solved only to make room for another one to develop. I've lost count of the number of phone calls I've made. Yesterday one of the technical support people finally was willing to look at the bigger picture. She noted the number of problems in my history and agreed to "escalate the problem". I spoke with a Level 2 technician, who referred me to a Level 3 technician. This morning the Level 3 technician called me. I expected a long and complicated conversation with in depth analysis of the situation. Instead he laughingly agreed with me that my modem-router has a gremlin problem. He advised me not to add water and promised to send me a replacement. He even volunteered to test the new machine for a couple of days before sending it to me. Meanwhile I have internet access for the time being. At least until the gremlins strike again.